Thursday, June 4, 2009

Michellie Jones Wins on Adamo Racing

Michellie Jones Wins the OC Duathlon Regional Championships

You can do all the training in the world but nothing is better than racing. Since my last event was the Memphis In May Tri two weeks ago it was time to squeeze in another event in between Memphis and the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon on June 14th. So it was time to transform myself into a Duathlete for the OC Duathlon. Yes, I know I am a Triathlete but sometimes it's nice to be a Duathlete every now and again as well. So Paula's motivation for me was "Hey- you don't have to run a marathon on the road like Heather...your Du is going to seem a whole lote more fun than her marathon and clearly my doggie hike will be by far more fun than both of your events.":) With that is mind my 4.30am Saturday morning start did not seem too bad. It was actually raining on the drive up to Orange County. Racing in the rain is OK especially if it starts after the start.:)Plus I had already washed by bike and it was nice and clean.Phew no rain at the race venue. Luckily we got there early as I had a little trouble getting air in my front wheel. Thanks to Pablo he quickly got my valve undone so I could put pressure into it. I was in a little bit of a panic for a few seconds. I am not sure if that is a good way to get the adrenaline going before a race. I get nervous easily enough already.My goal for the rain was at least make Pablo hurt a little but he really put the hurt on me. The first 5 km everyone went out really hard. I felt like Timmy turtle rather than a hare but as the story goes I was in lead well before the first mile(first female). Luke Bell was crushing everyone on the first run and at least I could still see Pablo.This would have to be one of the hardest 40 km's I have ridden or maybe it was the 5 km run before hand. The first 6 miles were uphill not a lot of fun after running hard. At least that meant on this out and back course you could fly back home to the transition.Ah the second run....this is why Duathlons are much harder than Triathlons....the legs remember the fact you have already run hard. So to say the least the finish line was a welcome site and although Pablo crushed me and finished 6th overall(Luke Bell was first) I was happy to be the 1st female and 15th overall. We made a mad dash back home so I could make the Expert Panel for Rock N Roll San Diego Marathon and sign autographs at the Newton running booth.Revenge will be sweet June 14th back to being a Triathlete for the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment